Thursday, March 1, 2012

Life is a Negotiation


Wow, so here goes my first post.  Thank you for looking in, I’m truly honored.  My passion in life is all about taking a concept from one sphere and then using it to my or the world’s benefit in another.  That is where “weaving” comes in and that is generally where my insights will come from.

Sitting here starting to write I have just come up with the idea to run with themes.  A big theme for me right now is the concept of dealing with what my ego or identity would like to do versus what my true self or greatness would like to do.   (I will use the terms ego and identity interchangeably and also true self with greatness)

It strikes me that the conflict (it nearly always is a conflict) between the two is a bit like a negotiation between two people of different views.  Basically, life is a negotiation!  The first thing to say is that you should never go into a negotiation thinking it is a conflict  - but that is tomorrow’s post!

Now imagine a negotiation where it is pre agreed that whatever gets decided is the full and final decision.  Then imagine that only one party turns up for it.  Its pretty easy to say that the person who turns up is going to get their way whereas if the second party even just showed their face, the chances are the outcome would be just a little more balanced.

When you let your ego run the show, you are creating a one sided negotiation and so you have no real chance of getting what your greatness wants.

So how to make sure the real you, your true self, turns up?  This is where the weaving comes in.

A technique I use in work a lot when I am working out how to solve a problem is to stop and think about an expert I respect in the particular problem space and say to myself  “what would such and such say?”  I have made this a deliberate habit.

What happens when I do that is that I transport out of my own thoughts and get to think as if I was that other person.  I don’t need to see them or talk to them, I can literally think their thoughts.  It works really well and because it feels like their thoughts, it in no way bangs up against my own ego.

So how about making it a habit of asking yourself “what would my true self say?”  Ask it as if it were a completely different person and it might just skip past your ego.  You need to be honest about it but when you do make that a habit, you at least have a chance of turning up to the negotiation and that is a better start then just letting your ego have free reign!

Until tomorrow. 

(PS  You can sign up to get my posts by email if you fill in the form on the right!)